If you’ve been diagnosed with a form of gynecological cancer, UK Markey Cancer Center is here to help. At Markey, the Gynecologic Oncology team provides patients with care to fit their individual needs. Our specialists in medical oncology, chemotherapy, radiation oncology and pathology work with our nurses to deliver the most effective treatments.
Our team includes gynecologic oncologists with specialized training who focus exclusively on gynecological cancer and treat more than 450 cases a year. Using a multidisciplinary approach, our specialists develop personalized care plans that address the needs of each patient and their family.
The Ovarian Cancer Screening Program at Markey provides free annual sonographic screenings to women throughout Kentucky to ensure early detection of ovarian cancer. It’s the only program of its kind in Kentucky and has screened more than 49,000 participants since its inception in 1987.
Gynecological cancers we treat
Gynecological cancers originate in a woman’s reproductive organs. The following types of gynecological cancer are treated at Markey:
- Cervical cancer: affects the cervix at the lower end of the uterus
- Endometrial/uterine cancer: affects the endometrium, the tissue that lines the inside of the uterus
- Ovarian cancer: affects the ovaries, which are located on either side of the uterus and connect to the uterus by the fallopian tubes
- Vaginal cancer: affects the vagina, the channel between the uterus and the vulva
- Vulvar cancer: affects the vulva, the outer part of the female genitalia that includes the inner and outer labia, which are the two skin folds that protect the vagina
Why choose UK Markey Cancer Center for gynecological cancer care?
Outstanding cancer care requires an unparalleled team. Our specialized gynecological cancer program is the largest in Kentucky and offers the latest in surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy treatments and more. Our multidisciplinary treatment team meets regularly with patients and their families to ensure treatment plans meet each patient’s specific needs.
For more than 30 years, Markey has provided advanced cancer care, and we are proud to be the only cancer center in Kentucky designated by the National Cancer Institute. Markey is recognized as a top 50 cancer center by U.S. News & World Report.