There is no shortage of great information and helpful services to get you through your cancer treatment and recovery. The problem: it can be a challenge to find the right resources. That's where we come in. UK Markey Cancer Center Support Services helps connect you to those resources that are reliable and used often by our patients and staff. Browse a partial list of our go-to local and national resources below.
To ensure all your needs are met appropriately, we suggest that you speak to a member of our team who can help you find exactly the support you're looking for. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A key component of our mission to provide advanced patient care and leading-edge research is the Genetic Counseling Program. The program provides risk assessment for individuals with a strong family history of cancer. Individuals who are predisposed to cancer can review clinical management options for themselves and potentially at-risk family members.
Our genetic counselor provides patients with a personalized assessment of hereditary cancer risks. They discuss options for detecting cancer and reducing risks. Patients' concerns are addressed with sensitivity and support. Genetic testing is offered when appropriate, and the patient returns to the referring physician for any necessary follow-up care.
Visit our Genetic Counseling Overview page
At the UK Markey Cancer Center, we do more than just treat disease. We care for the individual. We have an experienced team of licensed clinical social workers, registered dietitians, integrative medicine clinicians and others who will work with you. They will tailor our services to meet your needs as you and your family navigate the challenges of illness and medical treatment.
Remember: cancer does not define you, and life goes on despite a diagnosis. We want to help you continue to face each new day with strength, confidence and peace of mind. Look at our support services below to learn more.
- Send an e-greeting. Send email greetings to a friend or loved one currently hospitalized at UK Chandler Hospital, Markey Cancer Center or Kentucky Children's Hospital.
- Financial Counseling. Patient advocates assist patients with billing questions and payment collection. They also screen patients for financial assistance programs and federal disability programs.
- Integrative Medicine & Health. The UK Integrative Medicine & Health program uses a combination of traditional and complementary medical therapies and practices. These include aromatherapy and other services to treat the whole person — body, mind and spirit.
- Nutrition Counseling. Markey registered dietitians specialize in providing nutritional support to cancer patients. They help patients manage the nutrition-related side effects of treatment, including decreased appetite, weight loss, taste changes and nausea.
- Oncology Social Work. In addition to providing emotional support and counseling, oncology social workers help guide patients to various cancer-specific and community resources. They can assist with temporary lodging and transportation assistance during your treatment.
- Oncology Rehabilitation Program. The Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R) Oncology Rehabilitation Program offers specialized medical care for cancer patients. They can help patients who hope to improve their general well-being by managing physical impairments, overseeing personalized rehabilitation programs and providing medical follow-up for these issues.
- Support Resources. Markey helps connect cancer patients with organizations providing products and accessories, including head coverings, prosthetics and more.
- Support Groups. Support groups educate patients and families about cancer and its treatment. They allow patients to share their experiences and get tips on coping with the emotional and physical challenges of disease.