Appalachian Career Training in Oncology (ACTION) Program
The Markey Cancer Center’s Appalachian Career Training in Oncology (ACTION) Program offers Appalachian Kentucky high school and undergraduate students enrolled at the University of Kentucky the opportunity to gain cancer research, clinical, outreach and education experiences that will enrich their interest in pursuing a biomedical career with a focus on cancer-related careers. ACTION was created in 2016 through a National Cancer Institute (NCI) Continuing Umbrella of Research Experiences (CURE) supplement and has been funded as an NCI Youth Enjoy Science program since 2018.
To be eligible for the ACTION program, students must be one of the following:
- Enrolled in a high school within Appalachian Kentucky as a freshman, sophomore, or junior beginning in August 2022
- A current 12th-grade student at a high school within Appalachia Kentucky accepted as an incoming freshman for the fall 2022 semester at the University of Kentucky.
- A current University of Kentucky freshman, sophomore or junior.
View the map below to see which counties are eligible for prospective ACTION Program students.
Please find application forms and details for application windows below.
- ACTION Program Undergraduate and High School applications will be available on Friday, December 3, 2021, at 5 p.m.
- Undergraduate Applications will be due Friday, March 25, 2022, by 5 p.m.
- High School Applications will be due Friday, May 13, 2022, by 5 p.m.
Application Forms and Recommendations
Please take note of the key ACTION Program dates for high school participants below.
ACTION Program Academic Year Sessions 2021-2022
Monthly Saturday Sessions
- September 11-12
- October 16
- November 20
- December 18
- January 29
- February 26
- March 12
- April 16
- May 21
* Unless special times are announced, monthly sessions will begin at 10am and end by 4pm.
Notice for Saturday Session students: Because the ACTION Program does not provide transportation to UK’s campus for monthly meetings, you may drive your vehicle to campus if you meet the following requirements/conditions.
Summer Residential Program Dates
- June 11 (Move-In Day)
- July 16 (Move Out Day/Closing Ceremony)
In preparation for the ACTION summer program, high school participants must review and return certain documents such as permission forms, photo waivers, a student contract and more.
These forms are due by May 1st.
ACTION Program Badge
Participants that complete the ACTION Program will be awarded an ACTION Program Completion Badge. This digital badge signifies the totality of participants’ work in the program and their preparedness to address the cancer disparities in Appalachian Kentucky by pursuing cancer-related careers and conducting impactful community outreach to enhance cancer awareness across the region.
Upon completion of the program, Chris Prichard will email participants a final survey to complete followed by downloads of the digital badge for personal and professional use.