Acute kidney injury is common in patients with cancer and can be serious. The onco-nephrology experts at UK HealthCare draw on their specialized knowledge of how cancer and cancer treatments affect the kidneys to provide our patients with the highly coordinated care they need. Our specialists manage kidney complications so that patients with cancer can continue to get life-changing treatment.
What is onco-nephrology?
Onco-nephrology is a rapidly evolving nephrology subspecialty. It covers all areas of kidney-related complications in patients with cancer, who are at a higher risk for kidney impairment. Cancer – or the toxicity of cancer treatment – can cause this impairment in kidney function.
Conditions we manage
The kidneys serve our bodies in essential ways – controlling our blood pressure, filtering waste and keeping our electrolytes in balance, to name only a few. Our specialists provide care and support when kidney function is disrupted either by cancer or cancer treatment. They provide care for cancer patients at risk of kidney damage as well as those who have been diagnosed with kidney conditions. These conditions include:
- Kidney impairment before, during or after active cancer treatment due to:
- Other illnesses (hypertension, diabetes, etc.)
- Certain cancer drugs that can hurt the kidneys
- Adverse renal effects resulting from certain chemotherapy drugs used in cancer treatment:
- Acute kidney injury (AKI)
- Worsening of chronic kidney disease (CKD)
- Proteinuria, a high level of protein in the urine
- Electrolyte disturbances
- Thrombotic microangiopathy (TMA), or damage occurring in the kidney’s smallest blood vessels
- Kidney dysfunction after bone marrow transplant (BMT)
- Hematological malignancy
- Kidney involvement in monoclonal gammopathies, myeloma and lymphomas
- Risk of contrast-induced kidney disease in cancer patients
- Risk for post-surgical or post-ablative acute kidney injury or progressive chronic kidney disease in some kidney and urothelial cancer patients
Why choose UK HealthCare?
The dedicated team of onco-nephrology experts at UK HealthCare understands the complexities of kidney care and cancer and works to ensure that you receive the highest-quality care. The subspecialty of onco-nephrology is a complicated and evolving field and requires specialized knowledge and expertise. Our experieneced nephrologists collaborate closely with our oncology experts at UK Markey Cancer Center to provide our patients with comprehensive, multidisciplinary care. With a focus on preserving kidney health, they are there every step of the way, working to manage – and prevent – kidney-related complications that can arise during cancer treatment.