There is no shortage of great information and helpful services available to get you through your treatment. The problem: it can be a challenge to find the right resources. That’s where we come in. UK Markey Cancer Center Support Services helps connect you to those resources that are reliable and used often by our patients and staff. Browse a partial list of our go-to local and national resources below.
To ensure all your needs are met appropriately, we recommend that you speak to a member of our team who can help you find exactly the support you’re looking for. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ATTR amyloidosis is a hereditary form of the disease. A key component of Markey Cancer Center's mission to provide advanced patient care and leading-edge research is the Genetic Counseling Program. The program provides risk assessment for individuals with a strong family history of amyloidosis.
Our genetic counselor provides patients with a personalized assessment of hereditary risks. They discuss options for detecting cancer and reducing risks. Patients' concerns are addressed with sensitivity and support. Genetic testing is offered when appropriate and the patient is returned to the referring physician for any necessary follow-up care.
At the UK Markey Cancer Center, we do more than just treat disease. We care for the individual. From mental health and nutrition counseling to temporary lodging assistance and complementary therapies such as yoga and acupuncture, our support services are comprehensive and easily accessible.
We have an experienced team of licensed clinical social workers, registered dietitians, integrative medicine clinicians and others who will work with you to tailor our services to meet your needs as you and your family navigate the challenges of illness and medical treatment.
We want to help you continue to face each new day with strength, confidence and peace of mind. Take a look at our support services below to learn more.
- Send an e-greeting. Send email greetings to a friend or loved one currently hospitalized at UK Chandler Hospital, Markey Cancer Center or Kentucky Children's Hospital.
- Financial Counseling. Patient advocates assist patients with billing questions and payment collection. They also screen patients for financial assistance programs and federal disability programs.
- Integrative Medicine & Health. UK Integrative Medicine & Health program uses a combination of traditional and complementary medical therapies and practices, including aromatherapy, to treat the whole person — body, mind and spirit.
- Nutrition Counseling. Markey registered dietitians specialize in providing nutritional support to patients, helping them manage the nutrition-related side effects of treatment.
- Social Work. In addition to providing emotional support and counseling, Markey social workers help guide patients to various community resources, such as temporary lodging and transportation.
- Support Resources. Markey helps connect patients with organizations providing products and accessories, including head coverings, prosthetics and more.
- Support Groups. Support groups educate patients and families and allow them to share their experiences and get tips on coping with the emotional and physical challenges of disease.