Healthcare Jumpstart Program
The Healthcare Jumpstart Program is a collaboration between UK HealthCare, Bluegrass Community & Technical College, and Kentucky school districts interested in creating a supportive pathway to a healthcare career for their students.
About the Jumpstart Program
At UK HealthCare, our community partners are a large part of who we are. The Jumpstart Program allows our team to work closely with Bluegrass Community & Technical College (BCTC) and school districts across the region to:
- Accelerate healthcare education
- Increase interest in the healthcare field
- Establish a workforce pipeline to fill critical roles at UK HealthCare and across Kentucky
Programming and coursework will give students important resources to work and learn where they live at an accelerated pace.
By utilizing established dual-credit course options, high school students enrolled at a participating school can complete the prerequisite courses for a healthcare-focused program of study through BCTC while also obtaining required credits toward their high school graduation. This allows students to:
- Explore and cultivate their interest in healthcare
- Reduce or eliminate cost of attendance and save time from the program’s start
- Earn transferrable college credits while in high school
When participants enroll at BCTC after high school graduation, they will also have a jumpstart on the program and could complete their associate degree in a healthcare program in two years or less.
Click here to learn more about BCTC's nursing program.
Grades 9 & 10
During their freshman and sophomore years of high school, students will work with their guidance counselor to discuss the Jumpstart Program and what it means for their future.
Grades 11 & 12
Participating students work with each entity – UK HealthCare, BCTC and their school district – to take courses to prepare for the workforce. During their junior year, students must complete prerequisite courses in the areas of cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and state registered nurse aid (SRNA) training. During their senior year, students must complete anatomy, physiology, psychology and math prerequisite courses.
Your path from BCTC enrollment to community employment
Students who continue within this healthcare track at BCTC can accelerate their nursing degree to becoming a registered nurse or work towards another healthcare profession. The time from enrolling at BCTC (after high school graduation) to community employment is two years or less.
If a student is interested and meets qualifications, they can choose to accept a tuition scholarship from UK HealthCare, affording guaranteed employment after they graduate from BCTC with their ADN, which allows them to work as a Registered Nurse (RN). Acceptance of the scholarship enters the student into an agreement with the healthcare system with an expectation of three years of nursing employment after finishing their ADN.
Students who participate in the high school program also have the option to continue with their education track at BCTC or another educational institution with no commitment to UK HealthCare.
How UK HealthCare will help
- UK HealthCare will support BCTC’s dual-credit courses and programming.
- UK HealthCare will support increased understanding of healthcare professions and what healthcare professionals bring to the community.
- UK HealthCare also will provide scholarship opportunities to those who successfully complete the Jumpstart Program at BCTC and commit to working at UK HealthCare.
UK HealthCare employment perks
- Competitive compensation
- Outstanding health, dental and vision insurance
- 200% match on retirement contributions
- Free tuition for employees and tuition discounts for dependents
- Access to well-being specialists for mental, physical and personal health
- Generous paid time off
How your school district can get involved
UK HealthCare and BCTC would like to know more about working with your district!
We will develop a plan to bring Jumpstart to your county that will align with your district’s existing programming. We also will collaborate financially to meet gaps and provide scholarship opportunities.
To learn more about how to get started email Jumpstart@uky.edu.