Oncology Social Work
The cancer journey is rife with challenges for patients and caregivers alike. At the UK Markey Cancer Center, we have a comprehensive support network that will help those affected by this disease manage the physical, emotional, spiritual, and practical hurdles they may encounter after a diagnosis.
Our team of oncology social workers specializes in caring for cancer patients, and each is trained to offer therapeutic counseling, which may include crisis intervention, personalized therapy, or a referral to a mental health provider or psychiatrist as needed. In addition, oncology social workers connect our patients to the resources they need to help them navigate the healthcare system and remove barriers to care. This may include locating transportation assistance, finding temporary lodging closer to the hospital, or educating patients and families about advance directives and other legal matters.
The oncology social work team is easily accessible. Patients may call 859-323-2798 for a consult or request a consultation through their physician.
What We Do
Our oncology social work team is focused on:
- Counseling patients and families after a diagnosis, throughout treatment, and beyond to help them manage the emotional and social challenges of living with and caring for someone with a complex disease.
- Teaching patients how to change behaviors (manage overwhelming problems, quit smoking) to ensure the best possible outcome.
- Connecting patients with the services and resources they need to manage practical aspects of living with cancer, including pointing out financial resources, transportation resources, or lodging assistance.
- Informing patients about resources available to them at Markey such as support groups in their communities or disease-specific information online.
Patients can request a consultation at any time during regular business hours from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, and speak with a member of our team. We will address your immediate concerns and evaluate your needs to determine how we might serve you best. Please call our office at 859-323-2798 to request a consult.
As a new Markey patient, you may be asked to complete a questionnaire in MyChart prior to your appointment or you may be asked during the registration process if you are experiencing distress from your cancer diagnosis. A member of our team may reach out to you or visit you during your appointment to discuss how we might best address your needs.
Your physician may also refer you to oncology social work if he or she feels you might benefit from our services.
- Please call our office at 859-323-2798 Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Email: email@example.com