Healthy lifestyle changes and commitment to self-care can make a big difference in treating diabetic retinopathy and reducing the risk of it getting worse. Steps you can take include:
- Check your blood pressure regularly according to your provider’s recommendation.
- Discuss any plans to have a baby with your provider so they can adjust your diabetic retinopathy treatment, if necessary. Pregnancy can make diabetic retinopathy worse.
- Eat a healthy diet that meets your carbohydrate goals; features fruits, vegetables and lean sources of protein; and is low in salt.
- Get active and work toward completing 30 minutes of aerobic exercise, such as walking, cycling or swimming, five days per week.
- Stop smoking.
- Take your medicines as prescribed.