Hospital-Based Clinics and Departments
The UK HealthCare system contains clinics and departments that are actually part of the University of Kentucky Hospital, more commonly known as UK Albert B. Chandler Hospital. These clinics are referred to as hospital-based clinics or departments.
“Hospital-based” refers to the relationship between the hospital and its clinic or department. Usually, the hospital-based clinic or department is not located in the hospital. The relationship allows the hospital and the clinic or department to share costs and revenue. This is a national model of practice for large integrated health care delivery systems like UK HealthCare. The hospital-based clinic or department is under the license and meets the standards for accreditation of UK Chandler Hospital.
Below is a list of hospital-based clinics and departments of UK Chandler Hospital:
- Barnstable Brown Diabetes Center
- Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Cardiovascular & Thoracic Surgery
- Comprehensive Breast Care Center
- DanceBlue Kentucky Children’s Hospital Hematology/Oncology Clinic
- Diagnostic Imaging & Echocardiography
- Discharge Clinic
- Family Care Center
- Family & Community Medicine
- General Pediatrics
- General Surgery
- Gill Heart & Vascular Institute - Maxwell
- Gill Heart & Vascular Institute - Pavilion G
- Gill Infusion Services
- Gynecologic Oncology
- Hand Center
- Hand Therapy
- Head, Neck & Respiratory Clinic
- Internal Medicine & Pediatrics Group
- Interventional Pain Associates
- Kentucky Children’s Hospital Congenital Heart Clinic
- Kentucky Neuroscience Institute Child Neurology
- Kentucky Neuroscience Institute Clinic
- Markey Cancer Center at Lexington Clinic
- Markey Hematology Program
- Markey Multidisciplinary Clinic
- Medicine Specialties
- Nephrology, Bone & Mineral Metabolism
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- OB-GYN Ultrasound Services
- Pediatric Specialty
- Pediatric Specialty Infusion Clinic
- Precision Medicine Clinic
- Preoperative Anesthesia Clinic
- Physical & Occupational Therapy
- Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Polk-Dalton Clinic
- Psychiatric & Behavioral Health Care Clinic (including SMART Clinic)
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Radiation Oncology
- Radiology Services @ Maxwell
- Sleep Disorders Center
- Specialty Care Clinic at Maxwell
- Speech Language Pathology
- Sports Rehabilitation
- Team Blue Primary Care
- Transplant & Specialty Clinic
- Transplant Center
- UK Urgent Care Turfland
- UK Twilight Children's Clinic
- University Health Service
- Vascular Interventional Radiology
- Voice & Swallow Services
- Women's Health
- Wound Care Clinic
How does the clinic or department being part of the hospital benefit the patient?
This structure aligns clinics and services closer with the hospital, which enhances quality and safety standards and makes care more consistent. Like our hospital facilities, our hospital-based clinics and departments are operated under the performance standards of The Joint Commission, an independent, not-for-profit organization that accredits and certifies health care organizations and programs in the United States. The hospital and its hospital-based clinics and departments regularly undergo unannounced surveys by reviewers from The Joint Commission.
For more information on The Joint Commission, visit this page. Find out more about UK HealthCare’s quality and safety and how we stay continually ready for a survey review.
How does this affect billing?
Because they operate under the hospital’s oversight, an appointment at a hospital-based clinic or department will be billed in the same fashion as a hospital bill. Your insurance company – or you, if you do not have insurance – will receive two separate bills: one from the physician or other licensed practitioner treating you and one from UK Chandler Hospital.
And as always, depending upon your insurance coverage, you may be responsible for all or a portion of the charges on each bill.
For more information, patients may contact Patient Billing Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. at 859-257-7900 or toll free at 800-967-2131.