Fragment analysis is a DNA profiling application that detects changes in the length of DNA fragments. Fragment analysis generates a size estimates for DNA fragments relative to a size standard of DNA fragments with known lengths. It involves using florescent primers during amplification to label PCR products, which are separated by the capillary electrophoresis.
Some of the applications of fragment analysis include:
- Microsatellite analysis
- Microsatellite instability
- Loss of heterozygosity
- Chimerism analysis
Fragment Analysis Pricing
Name of service: RES Fragment Analysis Plate
Description: Fragment analysis on the ABI 3730 (Client performs reactions)
Price: $86.01 per plate
Note: Non-UK clients pay list price plus 10%.
Fragment Analysis Sample Submission Instructions
Container name must be alphanumeric only, with no spaces or special characters.
Plate ID should be same as Container name.
Sample name must be alphanumeric only, with no spaces or special characters. (UKHC Genomics Core Laboratory recommends using a lower case “x” in lieu of spaces.)
Size standard: List size standard to be used for each sample.
User-defined 1 should contain the name of the DYE SET (eg DS02)
User-defined 2 and 3 may be used to provide additional information to assist the user with downstream analyses (alphanumeric only).
Instrument Protocol 1: For new customers, UKHC Genomics Core Laboratory will fill in this field based on the chosen dye set and matrix. Experienced customers who wish to try modified protocol settings may supply protocol information in this field.
- Clients should be registered with UKHC Genomics Core Laboratory and have a “lab name.”
- The dye sets compatible with the ABI 3730 are as follows:
- Please see ABI publication 107MI108-01 for available dye sets and size standards.
- PCR should be performed in MicroAmp semi-skirted plates (ABI PNN8010560).
- Container should be named: FragAnaly_LabName_Date (MMDDYYYY).
- Client will perform PCR and dilute reactions before sending to UKHC Genomics Core Laboratory (typically 1:15 with Hi-Di formamide: ABI PN 4311320).
- If client is on campus, then the size standard can be added (0.5-1ul) and sample denatured at 95C for 2 minutes, snap-cooled and delivered promptly to UKHC Genomics Core Laboratory.
- If client is sending samples through the mail, UKHC Genomics Core Laboratory recommends sending the diluted reactions in a plate (or plates), along with a separate tube of size standard. UKHC Genomics Core Laboratory will add the standard and denature immediately prior to loading on the machine. (Note: plates should be well sealed with foil or plastic adhesive.)