Triple Feeding Plan
Sometimes a baby does not get enough milk from the breast. Triple feeding can help.
What is it?
- This feeding plan is used when the baby is not getting enough milk from the breast alone. Some reasons for this are:
- Mom doesn’t make enough milk yet.
- The baby doesn’t feed well for some reason.
- Baby just needs more calories.
Why do it?
- Working a triple plan takes dedication. Moms on this plan need lots of support!
- It can be a good way to keep baby breastfeeding until the problem improves.
How do I do it?
- Feed the baby at the breast.
- Work with your lactation consultant to get the best latch possible! Some babies need to use a nipple shield for a short time. This is especially true if they are early, are waiting for a tongue tie revision, or mom has very inverted nipples.
- Do breast compressions while the baby is feeding. This helps move lots of milk.
- Often, we can add extra pumped milk or formula with a tube at the breast. This helps keep baby’s interest at the breast and avoid a bottle.
- Babies on this plan should only stay on the breast for 15 to 20 minutes each feed. This keeps them from using all their energy eating.
- After baby has finished drinking at the breast, with or without the supplement, mom needs to pump for 15 minutes. This will drain the breasts and increase milk supply.
- After pumping, hand expression helps get every last drop and boost supply.
- Save every hard-earned drop of milk. You can give it to baby at the next feeding.
- You may do this along with time at the breast. Or you may feed baby by syringe or bottle after baby is done eating at the breast.
- This is a great time for a support person to feed the baby while mom pumps, if that’s what mom wishes.
When do I rest?
- The entire triple plan should take less than an hour. Both mom and baby need to rest between feedings.
Will I need support?
- It’s very important for mom to have help. A triple plan can be a lot of work, but it’s also a good tool to help baby growth and increase mom’s milk supply. A good support system can help this be a success.