Adolescence is the transitional period of time between childhood and adulthood. This is a time characterized by major physical, emotional and cognitive development. The adolescent years can be fun and exciting, as teens begin their search for independence. Sometimes, though, adolescents partake in risk-taking behavior that can have long-lasting and serious effects on their physical and emotional health. At the Adolescent Medicine Program, we take the time to screen for risk-taking behaviors and to talk with our teens about how these behaviors can have a long-term impact on their overall health.
Our clinic follows both federal and Kentucky confidentiality guidelines and regulations for patient privacy of teenagers, which we will discuss with you and your teen at their first visit.
Adolescent Medicine Specialties
Our expert team of physicians, nurses, social workers, nutritionists and psychologists uses a comprehensive approach to our multidisciplinary adolescent care. We treat every patient as a unique person with unique needs — emotional, physical and psychological.
Services we offer include:
- Evaluation and management of behavioral health concerns including:
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder
- Behavioral issues related to bullying
- Disordered eating
- Evaluation and management of eating disorders such as anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa and binge eating disorder
- Gender identity concerns
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Sleep problems
- Substance use
- Suicidal thoughts
- Nutritional counseling and weight management
- Reproductive and sexual health care, including:
- Birth control counseling
- Help with sexual and gender identity concerns
- Management of period concerns, including unusual vaginal discharge, irregular periods and heavy periods
- Pelvic exam including cervical cancer screening
- Sexually transmitted disease screening and treatment
- Sports physicals
- Well-child checkups and immunizations
Through our collaborative Young Parents’ Program, providers with the Division of Adolescent Medicine work closely with an OB-GYN who specializes in adolescent care to provide prenatal and postnatal care for teen mothers and their newborns.
Information & support
- Understanding Addiction: How Addiction Hijacks the Brain
- Alcoholism and Addictive Behavior
- Addictive Behaviors: Beyond Drugs and Alcohol
- Effects of Illegal Drugs on the Heart
- Medicine Abuse Project (sort by stories)
- The Guide to Keeping Your Job Before, During and After Rehab
- Eating Disorders Mirror offers wonderful resources on all aspects of eating disorders.
- A Parents’ Guide to Suicide Prevention - Accredited Online Schools
- American Association of Suicidology
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- Suicide Prevention Advocacy Network
- National Institute of Mental Health Suicide Research Consortium
- Society for the Prevention of Teen Suicide
- SA\VE (Suicide Awareness\Voices of Education) offers statistics, books, myths, symptoms, and much more.
- Stop Youth Suicide Campaign