UK HealthCare Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation stroke rehabilitation services aid you after a stroke, helping you navigate challenges and make progress toward your recovery. We will help you set realistic goals and become as independent as possible.
Who needs stroke rehab?
You may benefit from stroke rehab if you need help after a stroke with:
- Talking or writing
- Memory, brain processing or problem solving
- Muscle stiffness or spasticity
- Other daily activities
Many factors determine the success of stroke rehab, such as age and the amount of damage to the brain. Your participation and willingness to work during rehab is essential.
Services and Treatments We Offer
Each person’s needs after a stroke are unique. We’ll develop a personalized rehab care plan that focuses on your physical, cognitive and emotional needs and goals.
Our comprehensive stroke rehabilitation services include:
- Inpatient acute rehab services at Cardinal Hill from our multidisciplinary team of physicians, nurses, and therapist specializing in stoke rehab
- Outpatient rehab clinic appointments with our Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation physicians
- Coordination with outpatient therapy services including:
- Physical therapy: Physical therapists help you relearn activities like walking, standing and getting in and out of a chair or bed. You may also learn how to use mobility aids, such as a walker or wheelchair.
- Occupational therapy: Occupational therapists help you relearn and practice daily activities like eating, drinking, dressing, bathing and using the toilet.
- Speech therapy: Speech therapists assist you with talking, reading, writing and comprehension.
Other treatments you may receive include:
- Medications: to manage complications of your stroke including muscle tightness/spasticity, depressed mood, cognition and other side effects from your stroke.
- Injections: Botulinum toxin injections and nerve blocks can improve muscle tone and movement.
- Functional electrical stimulation (FES): This treatment activates nerves and helps muscles move.
- Body weight supported mobility: A special computerized system supports relearning walking and other movements.
Why Choose Us?
We work closely with you and your family to provide a full array of comprehensive care. Highlights of our program include:
- Experienced team: Our providers are leaders in stroke rehabilitation. Your care team will include specially trained doctors, nurses and therapists who understand the needs of people who’ve had a stroke. Our team includes:
- Doctors who specialize in physical medicine and rehabilitation
- Physical, occupational and speech therapists
- Case managers
- Family-focused care: We know loved ones play an important role in stroke recovery. We encourage caregivers to participate in stroke education with patients.
- Stroke support: Our stroke recovery support group lets patients and families learn from others in similar situations.
All services will be moving to a beautiful new space at Cardinal Hill in Fall 2021