Hospital and Clinical Laboratory
The UK laboratory offers adult and pediatric blood drawing and urine testing services through UK HealthCare. A written doctor's order or lab requisition is required for testing to be performed. Results are available through your physician's office or by accessing the online patient portal. For quicker service, contact your provider to schedule an appointment at any location.
Previously at all UK HealthCare Lab locations, walk-ins without a scheduled appointment were allowed. In an effort for the UK HealthCare Clinical Laboratory to comply with Governor Andy Beshear’s signed executive order 2020-115, modified on April 27, 2020, changes in patient flow must be made to assure that all of our patients may be served in the safest manner possible.
- We ask that all patients referred for specimen collection to any UK HealthCare outpatient Lab location schedule a lab appointment prior to arrival.
- To schedule an appointment please contact your UK HealthCare ordering provider. All non-UK HealthCare patients may call 859-562-0150. Appointments may be booked as early as same day.
- Patients may arrive up to 10 minutes before their appointment prior to their appointment time. If the patient has an appointment on the same day as their clinic visit, but the appointment is not within 10 minutes of departure from the clinic, the patient should be advised of their appointment time and asked to sit in their car or return for service just prior to their appointment time.
- Patients who are just dropping off specimens do not need a scheduled appointment unless they are directed to collect their specimens for a certain day. If this is a case, please book an appointment.
When Arriving at the Lab to Have Your Blood Drawn
- Check in at your scheduled lab locations.
- Present insurance information and verify identity.
- Present a lab requisition or written doctor's order if required.*
*Most UK Healthcare provider locations transmit orders directly to the lab electronically; written orders are not required for these locations.
Fasting is often required for lab test accuracy. This generally means you should not eat or drink anything but water after midnight the day of the test. Check with your physician for specific instructions.
Sweat Chloride Testing
If your physician has ordered sweat chloride testing, a test for cystic fibrosis, it is to be scheduled by the physician's office. This testing is performed Monday through Thursday. Please call 859-257-3519 for more information.
Urine Test Instruction
If your physician orders urine testing, please follow these procedures to ensure accurate results:
- Clean Catch Urine Instructions
- Clean Catch Urine Instructions (Spanish)
- 24-hour Urine Collection Instructions
- 24-hour Urine Collection Instructions (Spanish)
Care After Blood Has Been Drawn
Blood Drawing Frequently Asked Questions
Why do I need to register every time I have my blood drawn; don't you already have that information on file?
UK HealthCare wants to ensure that we have your current insurance information so that you are not billed unnecessarily.
Why do you need to copy my insurance card?
UK HealthCare needs this information in order to bill your current insurance company.
Why do you ask for my date of birth?
Your name and date of birth are compared to the information on your lab requisition and are used to verify your identity.
Will insurance cover my lab tests?
If UK HealthCare is a participating provider with your health plan, your out-of-pocket costs are usually limited to co-payments, co-insurances and/or other deductibles. We recommend that you contact your insurance company/health plan if you have questions regarding your benefit coverage or how your services will be covered.
Whom should I call with billing questions?
You may receive separate bills for services received at UK HealthCare: one for professional fees (services provided by a pathologist) and one for hospital fees (lab tests). Each billing area has a separate customer service phone number:
- Professional fees (physician billing): Kentucky Medical Services Foundation, Inc.
1-800-967-2131 (toll free)
- Lab Tests: UK HealthCare Patient Accounts
1-800-288-2779 (toll free)
Can you send my test results to more than one physician?
We will send your test results to the physician who ordered the test. We can send the results to another physician if requested at the time of collection and the following information is provided; name, address, phone number, fax number.
Can I come by to pick up my test results? Can I have them faxed to my home?
The blood drawing stations cannot release results directly to patients. The laboratory can release test results only to your doctor or to another doctor if requested by your physician.
Where can I get my test results?
Laboratory or pathology test results are available from the office of the physician who ordered the test.
Accreditation and Licensure
Interested in laboratory opportunities at UK HealthCare?
Complete and submit this form to request an interview with a laboratory services recruiter.