Children's Books About Going to the Doctor/hospital
For a child, a visit to the doctor or hospital can be scary. Children can feel overwhelmed about being admitted to the hospital, having surgery or receiving medical treatment.
The Child Life Department at Kentucky Children’s Hospital has shared a list of children’s books that can help caregivers explain medical experiences and ease a child’s anxieties before a hospital visit.
Books about going to the hospital
- Clifford Visits the Hospital by Norman Birdwell – Ages 2 to 7 years
- People Who Help Us at the Hospital – Ages 1 month to 4 years
- Curious George Goes to the Hospital by Margret & H.A. Rey – Ages 4 to 7 years
- Do I Have to Go to the Hospital by Pat Thomas – Ages 4 to 7 years
- Franklin Goes to the Hospital by Paulette Bourgeois & Brenda Clark - Ages 3 to 8 years
- Harry Goes to the Hospital by Howard J. Bennett, M.D. – Ages 5 to 8 years
- My Trip to the Hospital by Mercer Mayer – Ages 5 to 7 years
- Waiting for Baby: A Sibling Visits the NICU by Jennifer Bracci – Ages 1 to 12 years