Menopause and Midlife Health
During midlife, the transition to menopause and the years following can cause a variety of physical and emotional changes, but you don’t have to weather them in silence without relief and support. UK HealthCare provides expert evaluation of menopause symptoms and treatment for the disruptive changes this major health event can bring.
We know menopause symptoms can have wide-ranging effects on your life, potentially hampering your ability to get a good night’s sleep, concentrate on work or enjoy your favorite activities. That’s why we take a holistic, compassionate approach to care. We’ll partner with you to create a treatment strategy that fits your needs and can help you achieve your goals.
Conditions We Treat
During perimenopause and the years after menopause (known as postmenopause), you may experience a variety of signs and symptoms, including:
- Changes to your menstrual cycle
- Difficulty sleeping
- Irritability and mood changes
- Hot flashes and night sweats
- Problems with memory and concentration
- Reduced sex drive
- Vaginal dryness
- Weight gain
Any of these symptoms can be an indication of menopause and midlife health conditions, including:
- Menopause: This phase of life that begins when you’ve gone exactly one year without having a menstrual period. Menopause occurs, on average, at age 52. Some women experience early menopause from ages 40 to 45.
- Perimenopause: During this time leading up to menopause, a woman’s periods are often irregular. This transition phase can last up to eight years and ends one year after your final menstrual period.
- Postmenopause: Symptoms, including hot flashes, may continue in the years after menopause, though they usually decrease in frequency and intensity.
- Primary ovarian insufficiency: This condition occurs if the ovaries stop functioning correctly before age 40. Primary ovarian insufficiency may occur with irregular periods and cause menopause symptoms like hot flashes and night sweats.
The ovaries produce much less of the hormones estrogen and progesterone during perimenopause and postmenopause. That can place you at increased risk for certain medical conditions, including heart disease and osteoporosis.
Treatments We Provide
We provide comprehensive evaluation of menopause symptoms and treatment that can help you find relief. Our treatments include
- Menopausal hormone therapy. Also known as hormone replacement therapy, menopausal hormone therapy is a prescription pill or topical therapy that replaces some of your body’s estrogen and progesterone, which can relieve hot flashes and other symptoms.
- Lifestyle changes. Our physician may recommend simple modifications that can help you manage symptoms, such as breathing exercises, dressing in light, easy-to-remove layers, and keeping your bedroom cool to control hot flashes.
- Supplements. Few herbal supplements are proven to help treat menopause, but black cohosh may provide relief from night sweats, hot flashes, vaginal dryness and other symptoms.
Why Choose UK HealthCare for Menopause & Midlife Health Treatment??
While not all women will need specialized care during the onset of menopause, some will benefit from the expertise of a gynecologist who specializes in menopause and is passionate about helping women improve their quality of life by managing symptoms. Our menopause expert physician is certified by the North American Menopause Society, which is composed of medical professionals from a variety of specialties who are dedicated to promoting the understand of menopause and helping women enjoy a healthy midlife.
If you’re dealing with chronic medical conditions that may be related to menopause, our menopause expert can connect you with the appropriate specialists at UK HealthCare to ensure you receive the care you need. UK HealthCare includes the University of Kentucky Albert B. Chandler Hospital, which U.S. News & World Report named the No. 1 hospital in Kentucky and the Bluegrass Region.