Most important to the orientation of new staff at UK HealthCare is the Preceptorship Program offered by Nursing Staff Development. The goal of the Preceptor Program is to make the most of the initial orientation of newly hired nurses, to promote ongoing professional development.
Prior to becoming a preceptor, RN Nursing staff is required to take a four-hour Preceptor Workshop. This workshop is offered several times throughout the year and is designed to offer a structured educational experience. The preceptorship team is led by the staff development specialist and is composed of the preceptor, the preceptee and the patient care manager.
To become a preceptor, the following criteria have been established for selection. This person must:
- Desire to be a preceptor.
- Be recommended by the staff development specialist and approved by the patient care manager.
- Have demonstrated ability to serve as mentor, teacher, coach and advocate.
- Above average performance review.
- Agree to precept for entire orientation per unit specific protocol.
- Attend preceptor workshop.
Preceptorship is a pathway to leadership development and fosters nursing excellence for UK HealthCare. For more information, contact Nursing Staff Development at 859-257-1659.