Strengthening Kentuckians' mental health
With the influx of more patients with behavioral health needs during the pandemic, a significant opportunity exists to share knowledge and best practices to better serve Kentuckians.
UK HealthCare is convening a Behavioral Health Community of Practice, and we invite you to join us in this important conversation. This multidisciplinary model will help connect primary care and specialty providers and organizations through learning sessions where behavioral health experts share best practices, tools and resources to optimize care for patients in Kentucky.
Primary care providers are often the first providers patients see when they are seeking care for behavioral health needs. Connection to community mental health centers (CMHC) and to specialists across the behavioral health continuum is vital for meeting patient needs.
UK’s Behavioral Health Community of Practice will:
- Increase the use of screening and targeted assessments to identify depression and anxiety disorders and other psychiatric conditions
- Provide evidence-based treatment guidelines, including cognitive therapy techniques, motivational interviewing and appropriate medications
- Explore community resources for patient support
- Enhance relationships among primary care, community mental health centers, specialists and inpatient providers
- Explore options for workforce optimization models
Eligible participants include:
- Adult primary care and pediatric practice providers and staff
- CMHC providers and staff
- Community-based organizations
- State agencies and other behavioral health partners
Event dates and session topics
Dec. 1, 2022: Expanding Access: Use of Alternative Visit Types
- Using telehealth
- Panel discussion: Effectively using telehealth
Jan. 5, 2023: Pharmacological Interventions to Integrate into Primary Care
- Evidence-based guidelines
- Addressing behavioral health needs in primary care
Feb. 2, 2023: Brief Mental Health Interventions to Incorporate Into Primary Care
- Evidence-based guidelines
- How health care teams can support non-pharmacological interventions
March 2, 2023: Responding to Mental Health Crises in Primary Care
- Crisis Response Continuum
- Mental health mobile crisis response resources
- Patient safety planning
April 13, 2023: Primary Care & Mental Health -Cross Specialty Collaboration
- Finding referred partners
- Managing care together
- Linkage between chronic disease and depression
May 2, 2023: Addressing Patient Barriers with Community Resources
- Community mental health resources
- Addressing health equity and social determinants of health
The UK HealthCare Behavioral Health Community of Practice will meet via live webinar from noon - 1 p.m. ET on the first Thursday of each month from October 2022 through May 2023 (with the exception of our April date).
The format will include educational sessions, best practice overviews, interactive training on tools and resources, and group discussion.
Funding and support provided by Kentucky Regional Extension Center and UK HealthCare’s Healthy Kentucky Initiative.
UK HealthCare's 2025 strategic plan provides a road map for achieving our vision: One community committed to creating a healthier Kentucky. We are committed to positively impacting our community and our Commonwealth by understanding and responding to health needs through engagement, outreach and collaboration.