Surgery Waiting at UK Albert B. Chandler Hospital
View Surgery Waiting, UK Albert B. Chandler Hospital Fact Sheet (PDF, 170 KB)
See what's new at UK HealthCare
The new Surgery Waiting area in Pavilion A at UK Albert B. Chandler Hospital was
designed to better serve our patients and families by providing a comforting and
welcoming environment with convenient amenities and services.
Designed to comfortably accommodate about 200 family members and visitors, there is
ample seating offering varied degrees of privacy as well as opportunities for families
to sit together. At nearly 8,000 square feet, the area is double the size of the former
surgical waiting area. It is conveniently located on Floor 1, just past the concourse
bridge that links Pavilion A with the UK Chandler Hospital Parking Garage.
The works of significant artists with a deep Kentucky connection, including
internationally recognized equine artists and accomplished faculty from UK College of
Fine Arts, are showcased in the new area. The art was purchased with private
philanthropic support from generous donors and sponsors of UK's gala events. Showcased
artwork includes "Handstand," a signature bronze sculpture by the late UK art professor
John Tuska, and the vibrant glass work of Centre College professor Stephen Powell.
Other features designed to create a tranquil environment during what may be a
stressful time include the following:
- Large windows to provide lots of natural light.
- Reception and information desks with hospital staff and volunteers available to
answer questions and ease concerns.
- Five large rooms where families can meet privately with physicians.
- Children's activity area.
- Four electronic display monitors to provide timely patient status reports.
- Six phones for communication between surgical staff and family members.
- Pagers, so that family members may leave the waiting room without worry.
- Three flat-panel TVs.
- Convenient to the atrium, Auxiliary Gift Shop, Courtyard Café,
Terrace Café, and the Don and Cathy Jacobs Health Education Center.
- Family lockers.
For more information
To find out more about other features of the new pavilion at UK Albert B. Chandler
Hospital, call 1-800-333-8874 or visit ukhealthcare.uky.edu/new.