Makenna David Pediatric Emergency Center
View the Makenna David Pediatric Emergency Center Fact Sheet (PDF, 163 KB)
A separate waiting area for children and their families in the Makenna David Pediatric Emergency Center features child-friendly activities, such as the interactive wall illustrated above.
A trip to the emergency department can be stressful for anyone, but for children – and parents with a sick or injured child – it is especially so.
To help make the experience easier and less traumatic, the new emergency department at UK Albert B. Chandler Hospital features a separate area designed just for kids.
The Makenna David Pediatric Emergency Center, while offering all the advantages of our world-class emergency department, features a separate entrance and child-friendly waiting and treatment areas so that children have an emergency facility dedicated to their specific and unique medical needs.
The waiting area is decorated in a child-oriented manner and features a play table, an interactive wall, and a computer play station area to keep children distracted and entertained while they wait. There is a separate area for those who would prefer quiet.
Exam rooms feature smaller beds and child-friendly decorations. Each room has a flat-screen television that can be used for patient education or entertainment.
The Makenna David Pediatric Emergency Center includes:
- 10 standard exam rooms, two high-acuity “crisis” rooms and two triage rooms.
- Private consultation rooms for families in special circumstances.
- Proximity to the UK Level 1 Trauma Center, the only one in the state verified by the American College of Surgeons for pediatric trauma patients.
- Kid-friendly decor.
- Distinct patient, staff and family areas in each exam room.
- Wi-Fi coverage in waiting areas.
- Televisions in the waiting areas and in each room for patient education and entertainment.
- Direct access to nearby radiology for efficient diagnostic evaluation.
- 24/7 support of the full range of pediatric specialists associated with Kentucky Children’s Hospital.
- Rooms with full service capability of medical gases, exam light and monitoring. Crisis rooms have ICU booms and increased monitoring capability.
Within the overall Chandler Emergency Department, families visiting the Makenna David Pediatric Center will also benefit from:
- Easy entry to triage from the Welcome Center.
- A front door ambassador to assist with way finding, communication and comfort.
- Treatment rooms that “swing” for adult or pediatric patients depending upon need.
- Collaboration of ED staff, architects and facility experts to create the most efficient work space possible.
- Careful attention to color palette, artwork and lighting to create a comfortable, healing environment.
- Pneumatic tube system to improve lab turnaround time and support faster diagnosis.
- Designated eye, ear, nose and throat/dental room.
- 100% computerized physician order entry.
- A “quiet ED” concept that significantly reduces overhead announcements by using specialized phone paging and other communication devices.
- Mobile computer carts that allow staff to register patients at bedside. Mobile X-ray carts, an ED endoscopy cart and other mobile carts speed the delivery of care to the patient.
- Digital touch-screen “expect” boards at ambulance entry enable EMS crews to announce their arrival, improving communication and patient processing.
- Ongoing services improvements that have dramatically reduced the time from arrival to triage and arrival to seeing a doctor, as well as the overall length of stay.
Pediatric patients and their families will access the Makenna David Pediatric Emergency Center via a separate entrance with temporary, short-term parking located at the door. Long-term parking is available in the UK HealthCare Garage nearby on S. Limestone.
The Makenna Foundation
The generous support of The Makenna Foundation made the Makenna David Pediatric Emergency Center possible. The Lexington-based foundation was established in 2001 in memory of Makenna David who died of a rare lung disease when she was two years old. Makenna and her story have inspired the foundation’s supporters to provide for the needs of children, families and caring professionals of Kentucky Children’s Hospital. In 2008, the former pediatric emergency area was renovated – making it the first Makenna David Pediatric Emergency Center – thanks to The Makenna Foundation and its thousands of supporters.
Directions & Parking
The new Makenna David Pediatric Emergency Center is located at 1000 S. Limestone. The pediatric emergency center, part of the UK Chandler Emergency Department, is located on the ground floor level of the new pavilion. Large emergency signs will direct drivers to the entrance.
Short-term parking is available at the entrance to the Makenna David Pediatric Emergency Center. Once the sick child and an accompanying adult have been settled in the ED, the car should be moved to the spacious UK HealthCare garage nearby on South Limestone.
The UK HealthCare Parking Garage is located at S. Limestone and Transcript Ave., about one block from the Makenna David Pediatric Emergency Center. A skywalk at the garage’s Level C connects it to the hospital across Limestone. Follow signs one level down to the Makenna David Pediatric Emergency Center. At street level of the garage (Level A), a free shuttle will also transport patients to the ED.
Parking in the UK HealthCare Garage is charged by the hour, with a maximum limit of $8 per day.
For directions to the ED or the garage, please click on “Directions.”