Bookmark and Share

Asthma, Allergy and Sinus Clinic

What is an allergist?

A board certified allergist/immunologist is a physician trained in the sub-specialty of allergy and immunology. The physician must successfully complete a three-year residency in the specialty of internal medicine or pediatrics prior to entering the allergy/immunology fellowship.

During the allergy/immunology fellowship, the physician is trained in treating all age groups of patients with allergic and immunologic disease. After the physician adequately completes two to three years of training, and has been board certified in internal medicine or pediatrics, the physician is then eligible to take the board examination in Allergy and Immunology.

Once the physician successfully completes the board examination, the physician is deemed board certified. The American Board of Allergy and Immunology is recognized by both the American Board of Internal Medicine and the American Board of Pediatrics.

Page last updated: 5/27/2013 1:24:08 PM