About Kentucky Children's Hospital
At Kentucky Children's Hospital, our dedicated staff and advanced technology work hand-in-hand to serve you.
As an integral part of UK HealthCare, Kentucky Children's Hospital consolidates our extensive array of comprehensive pediatric services under one roof.
Kentucky Children's Hospital includes:
- 66 Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) beds
- 58 Level III beds (for severely ill newborn care)
- Eight Level II beds (for intermediate newborn care)
- 43 Acute Care (non-ICU) beds
- 12-bed Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)
- 12-bed Progressive Care Unit (PCU)
- Eight 23-hour observation beds and 3 infusion beds
- 26-bed normal newborn nursery
- Three children's playrooms, a computer room and a library containing books and movies
- Three consult rooms (one in PICU, one in NICU and one in Acute Care)
- Four sleep rooms for parents of children in the ICU
- A Ronald McDonald family room, open 24 hours a day for families of children in intensive care
Pediatric ambulatory or outpatient care is provided at Kentucky Clinic, Kentucky Clinic South and Polk-Dalton Clinic. In addition, many pediatric patients are treated at the Makenna David Pediatric Emergency Center.
The new Makenna David Pediatric Emergency Center is the only 24-hour pediatric emergency and trauma care center in Eastern Kentucky and is the only one in the state that has been verified as a pediatric level I trauma Center by the American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma. While offering all the advantages of our world-class emergency department, the pediatric emergency center features a separate entrance and child-friendly waiting and treatment areas so that children have an emergency facility dedicated to their specific and unique medical needs.
KCH serves as the subspecialty regional referral and pediatric care center for Central and Eastern Kentucky. There are more than 70 pediatric specialists and more than 300 pediatric nurses working in 24 areas, as well as respiratory therapists, dietitians, social workers and pharmacists, all of whom are dedicated to caring for children
Inpatient admissions each year number about 4,963 with about 3,539 non-ICU floor admissions, 685 PICU admissions, 739 NICU admissions and 1,408 admissions to the newborn nursery. There are approximately 83,118 outpatient and clinic visits each year throughout the Department of Pediatrics (including Kentucky Clinic General Pediatrics, Kentucky Clinic Adolescent Medicine, Kentucky Clinic South Pediatrics and Polk-Dalton Family Care Center Pediatrics). Patients are admitted by pediatrics, pediatric surgery, other surgical subspecialties, neurology and pediatric dentistry.
Directions & map